View Single Post
Old
05-25-2011, 06:23 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Hindsight is 20/20. Let's try the realistic scenario if they don't move him: He gets put on waivers as the 10th guy on the depth chart and Colorado claims him.

Obviously with hindsight keeping him would be better, but realistically teams cannot carry 10 healthy, waiver eligible defencemen.

It's just not possible. So yes, Gauthier failed to predict the future. What a bad GM.
That kinda was my point though in my previous point. This team had a history of D injuries in the previous two years. And to start the season Markov was coming back from major knee surgery, Gorges evidently was hobbling on a gimpy knee and they started with three 34 + year old d-men.

But let's suppose Gauthier would have been right and the D would have stayed relatively healthy. Then there may have been the opportunity to make room for O'Byrne on a third pairing and give him a chance to develop. IDK. Just seems the Habs traded a right handed, physical D when they actually could have used him.

At the end of the day it wasn't horrible move. It's just one I didn't quite understand given the injury history and state of the D in general.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote