View Single Post
Old
05-25-2011, 08:47 AM
neofury*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCareyPrice View Post
Eller's performance this year can only be described as a major disappointment. When adjusted for ice time Eller was the 56th in productivity per minute of ice time when compared to the top 100 rookie ice time getters. In the Centre category he was 24th most productuve of 34.

Both Desharnais and White contributed more, in the case of DD considerably more. Eller showed a little more at the end of the season but overall his first season should be considered dismal failure. He should not have been on the big team beyond an experiment in October and I can only point to Moen and Pyatt as regulars who were less valuable.

Lets hope late signs continue and this injury promotes strength training that makes his performance goes north, but so far he's mostly potential and less reality.
I can see that being the case for people with extremely unrealistic expectations.

For those of us who have realistic expectations i.e. rookie, big center, playing limited minutes, playing with limiting line mates, playing on a defense first team... he didn't exceed expectations but he met them. I believe he'll follow a Plekanec type development path. (His NHL development, though this all being said he's a player who should have started in the AHL, can you really say he did that badly?)

I didn't expect Eller to put up 50 or even 40 points his first NHL season.

Would have been thrilled with 20-25pts and a +1. He got 17pts (7 being goals, remember how long his first goal took? Half a season almost?) and was a -4.

So I'd say he met expectations. I expected him to top out at around 20 and like I said, would've been thrilled if he got more and a better +/-, that's about it. Plus if getting most of his points in the second half of the season is any indication of his development (it is) then I'd say he'll do fine next year. He'll probably notch around 20-25 pts next year, if he gets 30+ it will exceed my expectations.

Year 3 and 4 is what it'll all be about for Eller. Not years 1 and 2.

By year 3 he'll have filled out more, gained total confidence from his coaches and eventually, he'll get a shot at leading a real line, the 2nd line. Once that happens I don't see him failing and I could honestly see him putting up 40-50+ points as early as his 3rd season but most likely in his 4th when he's a permanent fixture on the 2nd line.