View Single Post
Old
05-26-2011, 02:02 PM
overlords
Hfboards

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
It's definitely true but 1st half Pouliot vs 2nd half Pouliot = night and day.

1st half Pouliot:

Played with a more physical edge, played well 5 on 5 and didn't appear to be a massive liability.

2nd half Pouliot:

I'm assuming this but after not getting a shot on the top lines after being one of the best 5 on 5 contributors, gaining confidence of fans and media and seeing Max do so well, it probably hurt his confidence quite a bit having JM never really give him a real shot on a top line. After that he went into a depression (you could see it on the ice, he wasn't the same confident aggressive/more physical Pouliot)

If he played the entire season the way he did the first half, keeping it simple, working on his defensive game and just had more patients, not only would he have gotten a chance but he'd have done better with his chance. That and of course we'd all still be praising him.

I still think he has all the tools, I think his mental game is weak. He's fragile and JM took the same approach he took with other players with him. The truth is there's no one approach, different players need to be treated differently. (I don't mean one should be favored, just that Pouliot is mentally fragile and the coach should have adjusted the way he dealt with Pouliot somewhat.)

I'm not saying give him 1st line minutes and bomb into last place while he fails it up. I'm just saying give him the shot a bit sooner and when you do give him the shot don't cower at his first mistake and stick him back on the 3rd line. Give him a real shot.
I agree with most of what you're saying. The fact that pouliot can put up solid point totals without having been put with world beater line mates says a lot. I remember when he was on eller's line and they were our only offensive spark for about a week. Pouliot's the kinda guy who needs a coach to really try and help him out. Not sure if that guy is Martin.