View Single Post
Old
05-26-2011, 03:22 PM
neofury*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
He played solid hockey 5 on 5, but he didnt play very well. He was not clearly above the other players, and he was playing against a softer opposition than Eller, Moen and Pyatt, for instance...

And then, Pacioretty clearly showed that he was better once in Montreal. Desharnais was also promoted, so you have two new players, both showing that they are just as good, if not better, than him...saying that he didnt get a shot is not exactly fair, because he did not deserved it in the first place...with Pacioretty and Eller coming up, plus Desharnais, the situation is even worse now, because the more Pouliot plays, the less they would. And they certainly deserved more that icetime.

He's like a collateral damage. You cant change your behaviour towards one guy just because things dont work out nicely for him...
The only thing they could have done is to be more proactive with him, communication, mainly, but if you start to handle a guy differently, the others are going to ask themselves why and etc...

Giving him a real shot ? He doesnt deserve it and even if, instead of who ? Pacioretty is better and younger, Kostitsyn is better and fitting a profile we really need, Gionta and Cammalleri, thats not even debatable.

You just cant have all of your young players to fulfill their potential.
I'm not saying treat him unfairly. I'm just saying different player different situation, and Max only came up midway through the season, he was never really given a chance prior to him coming up and imo he actually did deserve one. He was playing well 5 on 5 and he did play well. If he didn't play very well (wasn't getting PP/PK time) then he wouldn't have played well 5 on 5 period.

1) Pax wasn't up the entire season
2) Andrei was on the first line anyways but in any event had been moved to the 3rd line a few times.

I mean if you don't remember the extended periods of Moen/Halpern in the top 6 during times where Pax wasn't around or was injured, then I don't really know what to say. There were plenty of opportunities to give Pouliot at least 3-5 games but instead guys like Halpern and Moen got that spot.

I'm not saying give him Andrei or Max's spot, far from it. I'm just saying when opportunities to give Ben a chance presented themselves, he wasn't given the chance. This is also during the period he was playing well prior to Pacioretty coming up. He was playing well, in fact if you go back to early in the season and read info about him, he was being appreciated around here.

Again though I'm not saying give him an unfair advantage, I'm just saying give him a chance, and for the first half of the season I would say he more than deserved it. We had no 2nd line either, he was given like 3 shifts and moved back down after some jitters.

I think people forget the confident Pouliot we saw after the Lats trade and at the start of this season as well. He is capable of playing well and just needs to be given a chance. Might not be with us but with somebody else.