View Single Post
Old
05-26-2011, 05:34 PM
fauxflex

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Downie View Post
What are the pro's of it? This team had the same problem of a full 60 minutes with Jason Smith as captain. It's something they need to deal with. Mike Richards has won as a captain at every single level he has played at. Chris Pronger took over as captain of the Blues when he was 23. Now people are holding him up as the epitome of a leader. Meanwhile, we're saying that Richards is never going to learn how to become a captain of a Stanley Cup contender. Who is to say Richards isn't taking the same path as Pronger? Hell, Richards has gotten closer to a Stanley Cup than Pronger ever did with the Blues.

Who would become captain? Briere? Diver, doesn't contribute on defense, disappears when he's not scoring, probably has 2 or 3 years left. What do you do after that?

Pronger? What changes with him as captain? Chris Pronger is not the kind of player who changes his approach to the game whether he has the A or the C.

Kimmo? Breaking down, probably retires after his current contract, if not next year. What do you do after that?

Carter? That might be funny just to see his detractors' heads explode.
I wouldn't say Richards will never learn what it takes, but maybe he's in the middle of learning and who knows when he'll be there... perhaps for this team where it is, built to win now, might benefit from a more experienced guy in that role. Briere is no more a diver than lot sof other players, so not sure where you are coming from with that, and as I said, at center he certainly does contribute on D. Regardless he makes up for it in lots of other ways, in his exceptional playoff performances, in his ability to rally the troops (as I posted in the example above) etc. After the few years of Briere's tenure, then you re-evaluate, maybe a more mature and developed MIke Richards would be truly ready, or maybe up and coming guys who look like they might have more to give vs. Richie like Giroux or even JVR take the mantle.

But please, answer my questions as to what are the downsides of such a move? Nobody seems to really give a solid answer for this aspect.