View Single Post
Old
05-26-2011, 07:38 PM
eaglesmaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizniewski View Post
I agree. However, if you look at our nucleus, Plekanec, Cammy, Gomez, Gionta, Kostitsyn, Eller, Pacioretty, Markov, Wiz, Subban, Leblanc, Gorges, Emelin, Desharnais.

Of those players, 5/15 are Canadian, 3/15 are from the "English" part of Canada which makes up the most significant portion of the NHL. Traditionally, teams with the largest contingent of anglo-Canadian tend to do well in the playoffs. This is not meant to be racist, or anti European or anti-French. I love French players and European players. I just think anglo-Canada is underrepresented big time on the Habs and there could be a correllation between that and our lack of toughness.
Did you know there is a correlation between ice cream sales in a month and drowning cases in the same month. Eating ice cream must cause people to drown!!!!
Correlations mean nothing because they do not take into account various extraneous variables. It sounds cool and all but it is meaningless, unless you actually take the time to calculate a proper statistic on it and find it to be statistically significant (preferably on the .01 level, but I suppose the .05 level is also acceptable in this case), then and only then, will it be considered relevant in a discussion. Until then, you are just being prejudice since you are putting a group of people coming from a similar background above the others without any evidence.

Things you are not considering in your analyses. Over-representation of Anglo-Canadians in the NHL since players of similar, and sometimes superior, talent level in europe prefer to stay in their homeland and make more money. Would you rather make potentially more money and play in front of friends and family living in an area that speaks your native language, or would you rather go overseas and speak a language that is most likely not your first and make less money? Pretty sure the answer is obvious.

If you want to target the nationality demographic of our team as the source of the problem go ahead. In the meantime, I am going to concern myself with the talent and compete level of my players rather then where they were born and their heritage.
(wasn't meant to be an insulting post, sorry if it comes across as such, I am simply tired of hearing about this nonsense like Canadians are so superior. Wonder who won the world juniors and the u-18 this year, oops.....)