Old
05-27-2011, 04:33 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Four3 View Post
The season before the Hawks won the Cup, my friend, who was born and raised in Chicago, told me the Hawks were going to win the Cup that season.

The reason? Because they won it in '34, '38, and '61.

Much like I don't buy it that Penguin fans had reasons for not attending/watching games, the same I hold for every Hawk fan. For a while, the Bulls were Chicago's team and the Hawks were nothing more than that other team that played that other sport.
I mean, the games weren't televised locally. At all. The owner wouldn't allow it. At the same time, he was charging the highest ticket prices in the league for a team that missed the playoffs every year. Do you not see the problem there? Chicago had legitimate issues. As I said, the Chicago Wolves became one of the premiere AHL franchises out there, because Hawks fans started going to Wolves games instead. Hell, they could even watch the Wolves on TV!

"The other team that plays that other sport" is a phenomenon seen in countless cities. You could make the argument that it was and is true for us, as well. Knicks/Yankees town, and we're just the other team.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote