View Single Post
Old
05-27-2011, 05:01 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy Wonder View Post
Where do you get that Gusarov was steady and smart? Everything I've read about him indicates that he was a very wily and unpredictable player - unpredictable even to his own team!
For one, look at what overpass compiled in the bio link on the first post. Coaches and teammates have praised his careful, smart play. I recall he was kind of boring to watch because he would pass up ice instead of carry the puck out, stickhandle and position himself defensively rather than go for the big hit. If you have anything on him being at all erratic please spill it. He and Foote combined to ice the NHL's most PK ice time one season: in 1998, Gusarov and Foote as a tandem led the NHL in shorthanded time with almost 4 minutes-per-game average each (as per pnep stats)
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...v#post10794757

Here's one more piece:

Quote:
The two seemingly could not have been more different. Foote was rough and tumble, a stalwart defender. Gusarov was an offensive dman in Russia, but in the NHL he almost instantly became a skilled shutdown rearguard. Using his strong skating skills, long reach and good instincts he became a regular penalty killer and shutdown man.
http://quebecnordiques.blogspot.com/...i-gusarov.html

The Triple Gold club member had demonstrated offensive flair early in his career, and wise, defensive play later on. He played on the top Soviet national team from 1984-1991 incl. Canada Cups ('84, '87, '91), the rearguard is 9th all-time in games played on Soviet national team with 186 games (18 goals), a multiple world championship winner (1986, '88, '90), Olympic Gold medalist (1988) and Stanley Cup champion (1996).

He is a clear notch or two better than a Wade Redden in an all-time context.

Last edited by VanIslander: 05-27-2011 at 05:11 PM.
VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote