View Single Post
Old
05-27-2011, 06:33 PM
eaglesmaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
If i were in charge, I would have two priorities in mind for the first pick.

Big-bodied winger that can skate and handle physical play

OR

big-bodied D-man with the same skillset

I'm not a big fan of BPA drafting. Rocco Grimaldi might be great and all, but where exactly is he going to fit down the road? And we're assuming that our small forwards will not re-sign in 3-4 years. Who knows, maybe Gionta and Cammy will come back then, making the drafting of another pint-sized forward even more of a mistake.

As much as I'd agree that you can't have enough skilled players, you need to strike a balance at some point. We literally only have one sure bet power forward type player in our organization, Max Pacioretty. I like Kostitsyn, Avtsin, Quailer and Walsh, but we clearly need more depth at that position. Someone mentioned before that it's okay to draft lots of centers because they're more adaptable than wingers, which is true, but i'd argue that no center that we've drafted lately can do what Pacioretty can do, that you need the frame and the winger mentality to score the way he scores.

Here's my shortlist, after watching some videos of potential first round draftees:

McNeill, Mark - Forward -- Prince Albert

Oleksiak, Jamieson - Defensman -- Northeastern

Saad, Brandon - Winger - Sarnia

Jurco, Tomas - Winger - St. John's

Jensen, Nicklas - Winger - Oshawa
The point of drafting the best player available is because it is impossible to know what will happen in 3-4 years. Anything can happen in that span of time. When a team has a depth of talent they can afford to trade some away for players that fill in roles. You also say in the next paragraph that we only have 1 true power forward. But I will argue that we have a total of 0 sure bet offensive first line players. None. But drafting philosophy is a matter of perspective and I will leave it at that.

The second part I bolded is a logical fallacy. Size + wing =/= Max Pacioretty. Just because our particular centers do not play like pacioretty does not mean that all centers do. And just because pacioretty is a winger with size does not mean that all wingers with size become effective players like Patches. Its the equivalent of anybody saying that all small talented players will become Martin St-Louis. Pacioretty is Pacioretty, and he is who he is. He is not like someone else and nobody is like him.

Videos will never do a player justice. Its nice and all to watch highlight videos on occasion to see what a player is capable of at his best, but that is about it. Have you followed these players throughout the year? Have you even seen Grimaldi play before passing judgement based on his size? Have you even seen Saad play? Or any of the other guys you mention?