View Single Post
Old
05-29-2011, 12:05 AM
OG Kuch

vCash: 500
I don't really want Roloson back. Even though he's in great shape, he'll only get a 1 year deal and it will leave us in a similar situation next season. I'd rather get an established (and not 41 year old) #1 goalie for at least a couple years and let one of Tokarski or Desjardins back him up. I don't have anything against Roloson, but to me it leaves a few question marks. I also don't hate the idea of Smith returning for cheap, but at the same time I don't want to see Desjardins and Tokarski splitting duties in Norfolk again. Don't get me wrong, Roloson has been great, but I'd rather go in a different direction. That said, re-signing him isn't the end of the world and could be Yzerman's plan anyway.

If I remember correctly, we'll have at least 22 mil of cap space to spend, and in the end it'll depend on what's left after re-signing the key FA's. I think our offense is set, and our defense needs one more well rounded player (at least top 4 caliber). As I also explained, I'd like a goalie too, but its not a necessity. This team doesn't need to make a bunch of high profile moves to be a contender next year. We've got a great core and many of our guys should only improve. I just think we're short a quality defender.

I also don't expect us to trade away any signed roster players, but frankly I can't stand the contracts of Ohlund and Kubina. At the very least, I think having them both as regulars holds back our lineup and goes against our style.

If something like this can be done-

St. Louis-Stamkos-Downie
Gagne-Lecavalier-Purcell
Bergenheim-Moore-Malone
Tyrell-Thompson-Jones

Lundin-Brewer
Hedman-Bieksa
Clark-Kubina/Ohlund

Vokoun
Tokarski/Desjardins

...I think it would put us right in the mix of likely cup winners.

I am being lazy so I haven't done the math, but we obviously have lots of money to play with. I could see Gagne being the odd man out, but I'm curious if a roster like above could work, especially given the expected salary cap increase to 62.3 I believe.