Thread: Value of: Tuomo Ruutu to Ottawa
View Single Post
Old
05-31-2011, 09:37 AM
trentmccleary

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
First of all, this is the last time I'm ever disagreeing with you, because it is impossible to carry an argument with you. Not because you are bad in any way, more to do with the fact that you pwn everyone in every way.
I just try to be rationale, communicate well and select evidence that proves what I'm trying to say.

Quote:
In terms of Landeskog, the reason I said and think that he belongs on an NHL team is because that's the response from a good number of NHL scouts. Plus, when I saw him play twice this year, he looked like an NHL body playing in the OHL. I think he may be that 1% exception that is NHL ready.
Landeskog could probably play in the NHL next season, but we couldn't count on him to score.

Quote:
The bolded is the part that I agree with, for sure. However, when you said the fact that only 1% of 18 year olds should actually be playing in the NHL, I think that that applies to a lot of our prospects that you listed as potential 2nd liners. Most of the players listed are at least 3-4 years from making an impact in the NHL as a top 6 forward, if making an impact at all, and I don't see why we should ice crappy teams until/if they are ready. Of course, I don't want to make a trade like that for a short term replacement, but if we manage salary correctly (ie no 15 million, 3 year contracts for 35+ players), I don't see why Ruutu can't fit in our long term plans.
I wouldn't say that most of them are 3-4 years away... I'd say that we have waves of forwards/prospects that we'll need to make decisions on (every year) for the next 3-ish years. Some will stick and some will need to move on because they'll fail and lose competitions to the next wave. In addition, we seem to have a plan to build the defense around 4 x 20 yo D-men and 3 of them have combined for less than 10 NHL games (Rundblad, Cowen and Wiercioch). The D is going to have to develop and come together, the bottom 3 lines need to define themselves and we need to figure out if/whether Anderson or Lehner can be the guy.

Silfverberg... as far as I've heard; the AHL, SEL and KHL have similar talent levels. At 20 yo, 6'2, 190 lb, gritty, all-round Silfverberg finished 22nd in the SEL in scoring. At 24 yo, 6'0, 180 lb, soft, 1-way Butler had a very good season in the AHL... but was not on pace to be 22nd in scoring. Silfverberg's downside is 3rd liner, but that isn't looking like his most likely outcome.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote