Thread: Speculation: Gormley piece: Carle v. Leino?
View Single Post
Old
05-31-2011, 12:00 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanSciver
First of all, how can you quantify that all of those players are better than Carle in their own zone? We can all give an opinion.Secondly, if they all are better, how does that show that Carle isn't good in his own end?
You wouldn't be forced to assume that Carle is much better than Lidstrom. +/- is just one indicator.
We can tell that those players are better than Carle in their own end simply by watching them all play, and comparing them to see which were most effective on defense. The point of a defenseman is to minimize the other team's ability to get into scoring position, and therefore prevent goals. A good defender will use his size or positioning to prevent an opposing player from placing good shots on net. This is often accomplished by keeping the opposing player to the outside along the boards, and by blocking shots.

Coburn, Pronger, Timonen, OD, and Mez are all better at doing this than Carle is. For instance, I don't know how many times I've watched Carle skate backwards towards his own goalie, and just keep skating backwards without making any attempt to take the puck from the opposing player, impede his progress, or force him to the outside. More than one goal was scored this season because Carle essentially got out of the way and watched as the forward was able to rush the net...our goalies had to make a few good saves on similar plays by Carle.

He doesn't really clear the front of the net, he rarely takes a hit to make a play, and he rarely makes a play by dishing out a hit. Carle is decent overall, but at 3.4 mil he's definitely the most expendable among our defenseman for just being decent.