Thread: Speculation: The Offseason Thread, Part I
View Single Post
Old
05-31-2011, 01:04 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Who is this first line player you speak of? When is he getting here and when will he produce as a 1st line player?

Getting Richards doesn't preclude us from drafting and developing 1st line players, but since we haven't managed to find one in the last decade, it might be a good idea to explore other options rather than just sitting on our hands and hoping for the best.
This organization hasnt drafted a 1st line player since Alexei Kovalev and, besides the 94 playoffs, he didnt play like a 1st liner much of his time here. Maybe Ill give you Marc Savard but he made little to no impact here. So yea, forgive me if Im a little skeptical of a solution centering around drafting one.

If Lundqvist wasnt on this team, I'd be all for the lottery approach - watching Gordie Clark try to strike it rich year after year with a mediocre draft slot. But Lundqvist gives this team a window to be competitive, and I think it would be an even bigger mistake to let that go to waste.

Besides, just a couple of years ago, this team had almost 20M tied up in Drury/Redden/Roszival.

Now, we could have 21-22M tied up in Lundqvist/Gaborik/Richards.

Not perfect, but an astounding upgrade.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote