Thread: Proposal: Mtl - Cbj
View Single Post
Old
05-31-2011, 03:29 PM
Clipitar

vCash: 500
Mtl - Cbj

To MTL: 8th overall

To CBJ: Yannick Weber & 17th overall + ??? (rights to UFA James Wisnewski?)

I'm higher on Weber than most people, and really see some top-4 upside in him that could manifest itself as soon as next season. I know some of you think he's a borderline 7th defenseman, so this proposal is certainly not addressed to you.

It is no secret that Columbus is not in rebuild mode anymore and they want to win ASAP. They also badly need some two-way defensive help. They might be reluctant to trade for Weber considering they already have Kris Russell, but IMO, Weber has higher upside on both sides of the ice, and is definitely stronger than Russell. Having them both on the PP would also be beneficial, Weber having a killer of a point shot.

I understand another quality asset might be needed from MTL, but I'm not sure what (Habs don't hold any 2nd rounder for the upcoming draft). I'm also aware that going from 17th to 8th is quite steep, but at least we're not talking about a top-5 pick either. Finally, some other teams may have sexier assets along with an earlier 1st rounder to entice Columbus to move their 8th overall.

All in all, I'm definitely curious to see what fans from both teams think about this.

Clipitar is offline   Reply With Quote