View Single Post
Old
05-31-2011, 07:41 PM
Sports1131

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
Montreal as a baseball market, despite its history, is no doubt perceived as equivalent to Atlanta as a hockey market.

I seriously doubt MLB will ever pursue Montreal again.
Sad but true. Unless I win the lottery several times I don't think it's possible, and even then I don't think MLB would even consider placing a team here.

This is why I feel bad for the fans in Atlanta -- they are blamed for not supporting a team that didn't even want to win and made no effort to hide it. The longest playoff drought in professional sports, 1994, the firesales, Loria, Selig...you can't just overcome that without someone investing a ton of money, showing some patience, and taking a chance on what would now be an incredibly risky venture. Montreal has a great baseball history and I believe is the largest market in North America without a team, but because of the way everything was painted in the last few seasons I think it's impossible.

I'd give anything to be wrong. I'm a Habs season ticket holder and never miss a game, but the Expos were basically my life. It was so hard to go from following 162 games per year (including about 20 or so in person despite living in Boston) to knowing I'd never get to do it again.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote