Thread: John Carlson?
View Single Post
Old
06-01-2011, 03:58 PM
txpd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Green at wing would neuter his best asset. I think Mike Green is the best player at the league in the neutral zone. He is a one-man breakout pass, and I don't remember seeing a player as good as him in over a decade at getting the puck from behind his goal line to the other team's offensive zone. That to me has always been Mike Green's biggest talent, not his offense, not his defense, his ability to move the puck.
I am often surprised by how few people understand what it takes to be an offensive defenseman. He's a winger playing defense is brutally stupid. Paul Coffey would have been an average forward very likely.

Sergei Fedorov was an elite offensive forward, but as a defenseman he was a very basic player. He could skate. He made the right decisions and good basic plays. Brooks Laich as a defenseman is more defense than offense.

What makes players like Green so effective offensively is their ability to play defense well enough to get the puck away from the opponent and then in one motion turn it into offense. In Green's case he also is gifted with unusual skating explosion. If he intercepts a pass in the slot in front of the net cleanly enough to skate it, he has an odd man break immediately. Carlson can't do that.

Green is a defenseman.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote