View Single Post
Old
06-01-2011, 04:31 PM
duffy9748

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerGuy18 View Post
I have a feeling the Flyers are going to be like the Rangers in a few years. Throwing money at free agents can only get you so far...THEY NEED TO DEVELOP PLAYERS
While I agree they need to stop trading our top picks for the next several years, they won't turn out like the Rangers. We have four star caliber forwards at 26 or under. As of right now, three young top four defenseman. And Bob/Eriksson are two young goaltenders. You are able to throw money at free agents if you are only two or three players away from a championship caliber team.

With Richards/Carter/Giroux/JVR/Meszaros/Coburn/Carle for the future, we will always be a playoff team with them leading the way. After Timonen/Briere/Hartnell's contracts run out, you use that money on another #1 defenseman and another very good forward.

The fact that this team drafted very well for a 3-4 year period gives them an opportunity to trade high draft picks for the missing pieces. I'd like to see them get 2-3 more high level prospects in the system though over the next two years.