View Single Post
Old
06-02-2011, 09:39 PM
Kloparren
Hth

vCash: 500
Buffalo or STL roster? (they're similar)

Something I just noticed....these teams have similar rosters but which is better for the near-future?

Everyone knows about the roster depth for forwards for both Buffalo and STL. I think Philadelphia are the only team who can be compared in terms of amount of top six forwards (keep in mind that some are gonna become FAs like Conolly). Buffalo has:
Roy, Vanek, Connolly, Ennis, Stafford, Boyes (might not be anymore), and Gerbe (think he will be next year). Guys like Hecht and Gaustad aren't bad to have either on the third line.

STL has:
McDonald, Backes, Steen, Stewart, Perron, Oshie, Berglund, and D'Agostini. Other good players to have like Sobotka although the fourth line can use some depth.

Both teams have some good prospects up front, Blues are better in terms of quality (probably) with Tarasenko but Sabres have Kassian, Foligno, and Adams.

In net, both teams have starters that they're fairly confident in although neither have won gotten to a cup final (Halak/Miller). Allen (Blues) and Enroth (Buffalo) provide some good young goalies.

On defence, the best dman on both team was selected from the '08 draft (Petro and Myers). There isn't really as good of a second dman. Shattenkirk provides some good offense for the Blues but his defence isn't ideal for top line minutes and the same might apply to Granagni or Sekera on Buffalo. Blues are slightly deeper in terms of actual defense I think especially with Polak and Colaiacovo. Blues have good young dman prospects like Cole and Nikitin, Sabres have McNabb and Pysyk.

Both these teams can use an upgrade and might need to add a 1b or at least another top four dman. Neither really have that dynamic game changing high scoring star player (Vanek would be the closest thing) but they have plenty of depth up front and with good prospects in the system. They can both use a boost to their prospects on the back end.

Which roster do you like more? I like the STL roster slightly more especially with those forwards but I'd take Buffalo instead. I think they're fairly close but Buffalo has better prospects who haven't graduated and the tie-breaker is that with a new owner, Buffalo are more likely to spend to the cap, sign some free agents, and challenge for a cup when they're ready while the hockey market in STL might struggle causing some financial strains.