View Single Post
Old
06-03-2011, 12:09 AM
dobiezeke*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashanesh View Post
I'm not the least bit concerned. Most hockey fans that far north care about college and high school if they care about hockey. The NHL is secondary when you've got great, competitive hockey right at your doorstep.

I really doubt there's a sizable chunk of Wild fans in Fargo anyway, at least not enough to make our ownership do something rash just to keep them happy.
I believe that North Dakota/Northern Minnesota will have ties to the Winnipeg team. The schools in these regions have historically drawn players from Manitoba - UND has repeatedly recruited players from the province for many years. UND has in place a program that allows Manitoba residents to attend the university at a lowered international cost which has resulted in a strong Canadian presence in the university. This is typical of many of the northern schools.

Will this create a rivalry between the Wild and Winnipeg Whatevers? Who knows. But as has been witnessed by the attendance to university hockey by Canadian fans (refer to the World Juniors in Grand Forks and the ticket sales from Manitoba) to the northern schools I believe you will see a possible alignment with these cities with the Winnipeg club.

I am hoping you stay - sorry. It may be the only way I am able to watch the Winnipeg club play based on the sale of season tickets by TSNE!

dobiezeke* is offline   Reply With Quote