View Single Post
Old
06-03-2011, 02:28 PM
petelevi

vCash: 500
It's all about a body of work and paying attention to what coaches and management say. Who and where people play is about what they deserve--so for the Wick haters, he's apparently a better option than Dziurzynski when he's healthy. He's also someone management wants to re-sign. So either KK and the Murray's have been fooled, or they are seeing something in him that isn't translating for you.

I think fans are disappointed because they thought Wick would light it up, but his numbers are pretty close to what he produced in Switzerland (0.83 PPG for Kloten, 0.70 PPG in Bingo--minus his first 10 pointless games where he was adjusting). He's not a dominant player, but he's a good complimentary player. He does a lot of little things defensively--he saved a goal the other night (the broadcasters picked it up), lifting a stick on the backcheck. He controls the puck well along the boards. He's a good passer and has a good shot (although, like Colin Greening, he has a hard time getting his shot off). A lot of people complain that he isn't very physical and he's not, but the effort is there. Not every player is going to knock people out like Cody Bass. He does try the same deke move too much, but he's simplified his game a lot (particularly during his NHL call-ups).

Anyway, I'm not here to start a big argument about Wick, but I thought someone should provide a little balance. As I said above, players get what they deserve for KK, so there's a reason why Wick was on the fourth line and not higher--but there's also a reason he got moved up as the game went on.