View Single Post
Old
06-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Scott Hannan is a vastly superior player to Schultz. He has all of Schultz's strengths, save his length, yet he wins battles, rubs out forwards along the boards with great prejudice, is significantly stronger, and is a better skater. He's also approaching 1000 games of NHL experience.
The Scott Hannan comment was in regards to the bolded comment about bad line changes leading to OT losses. Specifically Hannan's change in Game 2 that led to Bergenheim's OT goal.

Quote:
And the Chapman comparison doesn't make sense for a variety of reasons. First of all, as you said, Chapman is anything but a finished product. He has under 30 innings of MLB experience. Schultz has almost 340 games of NHL experience. Second, as a pitcher, Chapman is largely isolated in his performance. He can't have teammates cover his mistakes (for the most part) and can't be carried by being on a strong team. Schultz can be, and often is made to look better by his teammates.
My point wasn't specifically about praising or condemning Chapman. That's a whole different conversation for a whole different forum (short version: the kid could be really special but is still really raw). The point was to show that awesome peripherals don't mean awesome performance. They typically correlate with it, but it's not always a direct relationship. Perhaps I should have went with someone like Jeremy Guthrie, who constantly outperforms his peripherals and advanced metrics. His actual ERA is always lower than his FIP, tERA, etc.

I take responsibility for not making my point clear enough. Looking those peripherals from Chapman would suggest an all-star pitcher. Yet looking at his actual performance would suggest a AAA call-up. Yes, hockey stats and baseball stats are not the same. That wasn't my point. It was merely an anecdote about how peripheral characteristics don't directly correspond with performance.

Quote:
I have no doubt Schultz in a legitimate NHL defenseman. I'm not going to argue he's AHL caliber. But he's a liability for what this team wants to do (win in the playoffs). He'd be much better off on a team that plays a very defensive style that's fine just trying to get into the playoffs.
I have no problem moving Schultz if the move fills a need. But shipping him off for draft picks or prospects would hurt the team more than help it. In a vacuum, this team is better with Schultz than without him. Schultz is a better partner for Green and Hannan than Erskine is. And the further Sloan (or Collins or Fahey) is away from the ice, the better.