View Single Post
Old
06-03-2011, 03:16 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
The Scott Hannan comment was in regards to the bolded comment about bad line changes leading to OT losses. Specifically Hannan's change in Game 2 that led to Bergenheim's OT goal.
Uh, Bergenheim didn't score the OT goal in game 2. It was Lecavalier on a 2-on-1, which was caused by Schultz taking an eternity to get on the ice.

Quote:
My point wasn't specifically about praising or condemning Chapman. That's a whole different conversation for a whole different forum (short version: the kid could be really special but is still really raw). The point was to show that awesome peripherals don't mean awesome performance. They typically correlate with it, but it's not always a direct relationship. Perhaps I should have went with someone like Jeremy Guthrie, who constantly outperforms his peripherals and advanced metrics. His actual ERA is always lower than his FIP, tERA, etc.

I take responsibility for not making my point clear enough. Looking those peripherals from Chapman would suggest an all-star pitcher. Yet looking at his actual performance would suggest a AAA call-up. Yes, hockey stats and baseball stats are not the same. That wasn't my point. It was merely an anecdote about how peripheral characteristics don't directly correspond with performance.
There's absolutely no comparison between peripherals in baseball and in hockey. You can't compare a sport with discrete events and one with continuous play. That's why I don't get the comparison. I understand the point you're trying to make, but baseball is not the sport to use. I disagree with your point anyway, in the context of the playoffs. Schultz is the player you described in the regular season. He's been that player for one short period in the playoffs.

Quote:
I have no problem moving Schultz if the move fills a need. But shipping him off for draft picks or prospects would hurt the team more than help it. In a vacuum, this team is better with Schultz than without him. Schultz is a better partner for Green and Hannan than Erskine is. And the further Sloan (or Collins or Fahey) is away from the ice, the better.
Again, it might hurt the team in the regular season moving Schultz for futures, but I think it's addition by subtraction in the playoffs. Other than that stretch in the Rangers' series, can you point to any other time in his playoff career when Schultz has been remotely effective?

I mean, Green is perceived as one of the biggest playoff goats in the league, but at least he has 25 points in 36 playoff games.