Thread: Line Combos: Predictions for 2011-12 Roster
View Single Post
Old
06-05-2011, 06:11 AM
UAGoalieGuy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by egelband View Post
Yep. totally agree. either all in with richards and gabby. or continue to rebuild. i'm not totally sold on richards, to be honest. but you can't get him and dump gabby. particularly with gabbys value so low.
one idea would be to pass on richards and hope gabby gets off to a hot start and trade him. but i don't think that's in the cards either. i imagine slats wants to contend this year. so i expect richards to come over and maybe a trade of some excess defense for a good wing.
Continue the rebuild? This team has been "rebuilding" since the season before the lockout (Starting with the great purge). Lundqvist is not going to be around forever. We all have pretty much agreed that this team is 2 to 3 pieces away from being a serious contender. Richards is one of those pieces. Erixon may be another. Team really would just need another winger who can put the puck in the net.

How could you possibly not be sold on Richards? He's been a consistant performer just about his entire career. If you said you were concerned about the money he might want, then yeah, i'd agree with you. His talent is undeniable, though.

Trading Gaborik would be one step backwards. If he gets off to a hot start, you keep him. This team doesn't have anyone else really that can bury the puck. Not signing Richards then trading away Gaborik puts this teams further away from competing. That would be a huge mistake.

Your last statement makes the most sense. If the Rangers signed Richards and traded some of the teams skill depth at the prospect/NHL level to get a scoring winger, then this team could make a serious push next year as well as for several years into the future.

UAGoalieGuy is online now   Reply With Quote