View Single Post
Old
06-05-2011, 05:59 PM
Janerixon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
This.

I've seen a couple of people suggest Avery for #1 LW, and I just cannot fathom the idea of it.

It was tried the past season with Christensen and Gaborik, and while it worked for a game or two, other teams are not stupid. They scout, and once they figure out Avery will be trying the pass from behind the net to the slot; it's easily defended with a player like Avery making that pass, as he's most certainly not the greatest playmaker.

I would love to get Andrew Brunnette here; the reason being that he will not be here long, and he is an unbelievable board player. He has calves like an Ox, and he is an excellent playmaker that has had success with Gaborik in the past. On a 1 yr, $2.5MM deal, I'd be absolutely ecstatic with adding him into the mix. His experience alone would make him a valuable asset.

As for another option, if we fail to sign Richards, I see the Rangers making a bid for Stastny/Spezza/Roy, and whether or not we get those players, I think the Rangers will be keeping Wolski in that scenario; I've been an advocate of buying him out, but if we don't get Richards, he's not an awful stop gap in the top-6, and his contract expires at the end of next season. That'd give us a ton of cap space to work with to try and sign one of Suter/Burns, then try and deal Girardi for a 1st line forward.
I just read that post article where it says Richards is gonna want 7 million a year for 5 years and Sather won't go over 6.5, I really hope thats not the case because I do not want Spezza as he has bust written all over him in NY. Stastny is interesting to me, but Richards is a proven winner, has been successful with Torts and is friends with Avery (which could help get Avery back to the player he once was). The aspect I really liked about getting Richards is it wouldn't cost anything except a buyout of Drury. Talking about Stastny, Spezza, or Roy and thats gonna cost kids, roster players, and a pick at least. If Sather is willing to give some cash and terms we can land Richards, Jussi Jokinen/Brunette, and Babchuk and it will only cost a buyout of Drury and Wolski.

I can't imagine we could acquire Stastny without surrendering Del Zotto, Anisimov, and a 1st round pick and maybe something else. I am not sure how prepared I am to make that deal, I loved the idea of being 4 centers deep
Richards
Anisimov
Stepan
Boyle

we will have to see what happens, but I agree on brunette, he would be my second choice if we can't land Jussi.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote