View Single Post
Old
06-06-2011, 09:58 AM
macavoy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
I'm torn in regards to AK. Yes he can score goals, and he does hit..but half the time he's on another planet and looks lost out there. One of the most frustrating players to watch. I wouldn't pay him 4 million, but thats just me. With what he gives, I would give him another year or two at the same salary. I wouldn't give him over two years though, and I would prefer he only signs a one year deal.
Signing him to a 1 year deal is horrible asset management. You basically are saying, please walk away next year for nothing.

The reality is he's an asset at $3.25-4m on the market. We should be trying to sign him to a 3-4 yr deal. Look at what teams gave up for Penner.

Penner has had 4 45 point seasons and 1 60 point season. AK has had a 30 point season, 2 40 point seasons and a 50 point season.

Penner is marginally better but he has suffered from the same "lazy" / disappearing problems that AK has. Signing him to a 1 year contract and letting him walk is just dumb when you can sign him to a long term deal and if he doesn't progress, then you can trade him for approximately last years from round pick and a second round pick.

People keep complaining that we let our assets walk away but then they post they can't get rid of them fast enough when they are here.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote