Thread: Line Combos: Predictions for 2011-12 Roster
View Single Post
Old
06-06-2011, 02:21 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
You trade gaborik and you set the team back. Unless you are getting an ELITE scorer back for him then you are setting this team back. Schenn is a very nice prospect but he has proven absolutely nothing. I dont care what your image of an elite player is but gaborik most certainly is one. Yeah he struggled but the guy knows how to shoot the puck. Not many players can shoot like him. The ones that can are the elite players. You clearly dont know what an elite player is. I love the callahan's and the dubinsky's but the bottom line is those guys are not elite offensive players. They just aren't. They are not guys that opposing coaches draw up game plans to stop them. The are secondary players. Dont come on here and try make the claim that gaborik isnt elite. The fact that coaches strategize how to stop gaborik is what makes him elite. They know his capabilities. They know the shot he has.

You're calling me ignorant? You really didn't address the points made about him being smothered this year and having no space on the ice because teams didnt have to worry about our "less gifted" offensive players. You're right he didnt score towards the end of the season. But I guess you just chose to ignore the point of the previous response that he didnt have a guy to feed him the puck, to create space by taking the attention off him.

Your vision is way too clouded. Go ahead be oblivious to how the game of hockey works and that there actually is strategy behind it. Ignore that there was probably a reason why gaborik struggled this year and that it wasnt just some anomaly. I guarantee if Gaborik had scored 40 goals this year, signing richards wouldnt be as dire of a need. And this team would have went a helluva lot farther than they did. Those playoff games were extremely tight against the Caps. Imagine if BR was centering Gaborik. Just a couple goals from Gaborik could have turned that series in our favor.

But you know what you're right this team doesnt need a premiere scorer. They'll be just fine with a bunch of hard working 2nd liners who arent particularly great finishers but because they are blue collar guys we still love them. Sometimes you need elite scorers too or at least just one. They really dont come around too often. We got one two summers ago. I'm not ready to deal him away because we have ignorant fans who make one bad year into a career, and dont you dare say you're not doing that because you wouldnt be saying any of this if gaborik had scored 35+ goals this year. Simple minded people like yourself are ready to jump the gun and throw in the towel on him.

Oh and by the way trying hitting the "return" button in your posts; it's there for a reason.
I did address those points. I even said that I have no doubts Gaborik will return to 40-40 form and probably more if he plays a full year with Richards. The point remains, the 7.5 could be better spent elsewhere. Your argument is that Schenn hasn't proven anything yet. That's like saying that you don't want to invest in nanotechnology because it isn't the standard right now! Of course he hasn't proven anything. He's a prospect! He hasn't had a CHANCE to "prove" anything at the NHL level. How shortsighted can you be? Furthermore, getting Jack Johnson and trading Girardi while his value his at an all-time high does more for this team than holding onto Gaborik and letting him leech of Richards to inflate his regular season stats. Does Boston have a Gaborik? Does Vancouver have a Gaborik? Nope, but they both have great playmakers and opportunistic scorers who work hard to get their scoring chances. What do they also both have? Fast, mobile, puck-moving defensemen and fast, mobile, hard-hitting defensemen.

Your point about us having Richards this playoffs would've made Gaborik score game-winning goals and turn the series in our favor is a joke, right? If we had Richards, we likely win the series. That has diddly squat to do with Gaborik. Your taking the great skills of Richards and then making it like that's all Gaborik would've needed to show how good he is! The real "elite" players make players around them better. Gaborik is not this. He is not "elite." He's a gifted goal scorer, but he's not an elite-level player in this league. He's too one dimensional.

Another thing is that in hockey 2 + 2 doesn't always equal 4. Who would've thought that Dany Heatley moving to SJ to play with Joe Thornton would actually drop his goal totals? He scored 26 goals this year. I know he didn't play the full year with Thornton. But why is that? Because it wasn't working! There's no guarantee that a great playmaker and a great goal scorer are going to make for a doubly great duo. It just isn't that simple.

If you can get a good return for Gaborik now, you have to do it. This team is too close to hold onto a guy who can get nice regular season numbers but won't help us get to that next level in the post-season. Richards makes us a much better team. He doesn't need Gaborik on his wing to do that. He put up 90 points playing with Neal/Benn and Erikkson. None of those players have Gaborik's pure goal scoring ability but they can skate and drive to the net and finish a nice pass. That's all it takes.

I know I can't change your mind, but you're really missing the big picture.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote