Thread: Line Combos: Predictions for 2011-12 Roster
View Single Post
Old
06-06-2011, 02:38 PM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
I did address those points. I even said that I have no doubts Gaborik will return to 40-40 form and probably more if he plays a full year with Richards. The point remains, the 7.5 could be better spent elsewhere. Your argument is that Schenn hasn't proven anything yet. That's like saying that you don't want to invest in nanotechnology because it isn't the standard right now! Of course he hasn't proven anything. He's a prospect! He hasn't had a CHANCE to "prove" anything at the NHL level. How shortsighted can you be? Furthermore, getting Jack Johnson and trading Girardi while his value his at an all-time high does more for this team than holding onto Gaborik and letting him leech of Richards to inflate his regular season stats. Does Boston have a Gaborik? Does Vancouver have a Gaborik? Nope, but they both have great playmakers and opportunistic scorers who work hard to get their scoring chances. What do they also both have? Fast, mobile, puck-moving defensemen and fast, mobile, hard-hitting defensemen.

Your point about us having Richards this playoffs would've made Gaborik score game-winning goals and turn the series in our favor is a joke, right? If we had Richards, we likely win the series. That has diddly squat to do with Gaborik. Your taking the great skills of Richards and then making it like that's all Gaborik would've needed to show how good he is! The real "elite" players make players around them better. Gaborik is not this. He is not "elite." He's a gifted goal scorer, but he's not an elite-level player in this league. He's too one dimensional.

Another thing is that in hockey 2 + 2 doesn't always equal 4. Who would've thought that Dany Heatley moving to SJ to play with Joe Thornton would actually drop his goal totals? He scored 26 goals this year. I know he didn't play the full year with Thornton. But why is that? Because it wasn't working! There's no guarantee that a great playmaker and a great goal scorer are going to make for a doubly great duo. It just isn't that simple.

If you can get a good return for Gaborik now, you have to do it. This team is too close to hold onto a guy who can get nice regular season numbers but won't help us get to that next level in the post-season. Richards makes us a much better team. He doesn't need Gaborik on his wing to do that. He put up 90 points playing with Neal/Benn and Erikkson. None of those players have Gaborik's pure goal scoring ability but they can skate and drive to the net and finish a nice pass. That's all it takes.

I know I can't change your mind, but you're really missing the big picture.
Just curious, how would it be better spent?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote