View Single Post
Old
10-17-2003, 05:54 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Irbe is just being stubborn. Right now the money means more to him than the chance to play at the NHL level again does. He has been quoted in a Latvian newspaper as saying he will accept no buyout and will play where the Hurricanes put him as long as the checks keep coming. Those comments seemed almost Jagr-esque when you think about a guy who is in the waining portion of his career and isn't going to do whatever it takes to play at the highest level he can. Apparently, Irbe and Carolina botched a deal to go to Boston towards the end of last season for their playoff push and nothing ever came from it.

I'm farily confident that Irbe will play the whole year at Johnstown in large part due to his greed. His skills are highly diminished though, so be prepared. I'm not saying he's going to be a bad tender at the ECHL level, i'm just saying that his skills are no longer serviceable at the NHL level. So if you're expecting to see Irbe of 99' out there then you might want to save yourself the cover price.