View Single Post
Old
10-17-2003, 07:08 AM
H-Bear

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob
The time to get Gratton was last year, and there was a missed opportunity. He fell out of favor with Sabres management, and a great many fans, to due his scoreless streaks. (The same situation may occur in Phoenix.) When he is on, Gratton is a physical force on the ice, and is extremely difficult to move in front of the net. A coach, such as Daryl Sutter, might've been just what he needed to channel his focus on a more consistent basis. It should also be noted that he always performed best with talented linemates with a decent amount of ice time.

Phoenix gave up the flashy, but smallish, Daniel Briere to acquire Gratton. Since McAmmond was brought back for a 4th round draft pick, it would take considerably more to land Gratton. Of the names mentioned, Gauthier would appear to be the most tradeable asset. It wouldn't make good sense, from the offense's standpoint, to unload Gelinas and/or Conroy at this juncture. If the Flames were out at the trade deadline, both players would be coveted by serious contenders.

Fredrik Modin has the size but doesn't have the intimidation factor that a power forward should possess. Mark Bell is probably one of the young players Chicago will want to build around in addition to Ruutu & Calder. Eric Daze might be of interest, and the Blackhawks would possibly be willing to move him. However, without looking at the salaries, he's probably making a hefty chunk of change. His name may have come up before in previous trade talks (i.e. before Derek Morris left town).
I'm not too sure CGY would be interested in Daze. He is often injured (he's out with yet another back injury right now, if memory serves correct) and he makes a lot of $$ ($3,200,000.00 to be exact, where I'm sure there are also bonuses on top of that).