View Single Post
Old
06-07-2011, 09:47 AM
Jeff Goldblum

vCash: 500
I really don't understand what's not to like with Rupp. He's built like an industrial refrigerator and is an excellent skater by any standard. Combine his size with his speed and you get some of the most forceful hits in the league. They're not always the flashiest hits, but players seem to skate away in a daze when they end up sandwiched between Mike Rupp and the boards.

What I like about Rupp is that he plays a solid and consistently-punishing grind-it-out game, but is also quite talented for a 4th liner. It doesn't result in much because his offensive awareness is minimal, but his puck control and skating with the puck are both excellent. You can see why the guy was once picked 9th overall, even if you can also see why he went unsigned two years later.

The only serious weakness Rupp has shown over the past two seasons are his penalties. He needs to cut down on the minors, but that's really it. Otherwise, he plays a consistent game and provides more upside and flexibility than your traditional 4th liner. He can play C or LW and won't look out of place on a third line when injuries necessitate the move. Add in the 'veteran presence' and you've got a perfect 4th liner for this team. I'm really glad to have Rupp back, pending confirmation of the deal.