View Single Post
Old
06-07-2011, 04:39 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanSciver View Post
Why would you rather leave the offense alone? Even if the Flyers don't resign Leino and trade Versteeg, they still have as much offense as most teams do.
They have two 37 year old defenseman, one coming off major back surgery. If Pronger has issues recovering, and isn't ready to start the Season, and you trade Carle, then your top 4 is Timonen, Coburn, Meszaros, and who? And if Pronger is healthy, your still looking at a situation of overplaying Timonen and Pronger and wearing them down through the Season. And if another guy gets a significant injury, then your back in the same situation. Taking into account all of the factors involved, trading a defenseman is a mistake in my opinion.

That's a lot of what-ifs in there. We can never hope to be totally insulated from injuries, nor should that be the goal.

If Pronger doesn't make it back in time for the start of the season, then they play with out him, just like they did last year. My assumption is that Bartulis would get a look on the third pairing which shouldn't be that scary an idea with a Bryz or Vokoun caliber tender in net. He can defend well enough to keep the shots savable, it's just that in his games he didn't have a goalie who could make a save. Outside of that, I would be comfortable letting Coburn play big minutes. He has always played better the more minutes he got.

Timonen - Coburn
Carle- Meszaros
Bartulis - UFA/Some Coburn

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote