View Single Post
Old
06-07-2011, 05:25 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roke View Post
The match will be streamed on Sportsnet's website as well.

Of course I have a meeting the night the Men's National Team has their first competitive match since World Cup Qualifying. Of course.

I'm disappointed that Russell Teibert of the Whitecaps didn't get the call for Canada. Josh Simpson is a quality left-winger and one of our best players but it would have been nice to have Teibert cap-tied to the country even though he apparently doesn't have any options. A shame that Junior Hoilett is still on the fence about Canada too.

After Begovic deciding to play for Bosnia I'm paranoid (and they could have subbed him on in a dead rubber World Cup Qualifying match and tied him. Terrible move by Dale Mitchell, though as a friend told me at the time Begovic was already tied for Canada by virtue of playing for the youth sides and reaching senior age (FIFA later changed the rules where that was no longer the case, to be cap-tied you have to play at the senior level in a competitive tournament now).

If you are going to watch the game tonight, Simeon Jackson and Atiba Hutchinson are two players to watch.

Hutchinson is a quality central midfielder who plays for PSV in the Dutch league and won the Voyageurs' (Canadian supporters group) player of the year last year. He is Canada's best player.

Jackson is a speedy striker/winger type (he'll either be up to or at right-wing cutting in... hopefully cutting in anyway) who plays for recently promoted Norwich City. Jackson scored some key goals for Norwich to help them win promotion to the Premier League and really came into form in the second half.

Begovic was awful during '07 Junior World Cup. Borjan, though, seems like a good one for Canada.

The Russian General is online now   Reply With Quote