View Single Post
Old
06-07-2011, 06:10 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Btw, I love how when you prove something with statistics, people will cite the few exceptions as some sort of proof.

That's like telling someone, "you know, it's wiser to invest in diversified mutual funds run by professionals than to buy lottery tickets" and after showing statistics of past success and failure being told, "hey, what about that guy I saw on TV who just won $300 million? How about that?"

The exception to the rule, that rare guy who does something totally unexpected, does NOT disprove the statistical rule.

(Sorry for using an analogy. I know there are some here who can't comprehend them.)
But you aren't proving anything with statistics. You're proving that you don't have the information necessary to see why the statistics you've provided can't be applied to the current situation.

If this was 2002, your statistics would be relevant.

Will 2011 produce more impact players than 2003? Probably not, but then again 2003 is one of the greatest draft years of all-time. Still. your question again isn't relevant. We aren't discussing the quality of the players available, but rather the quality of the scouting. The evolution of scouting will mean that fewer players fall through the cracks. Will it happen on occasion? Without a doubt, but the eyes of scouts are wider than ever these days.