View Single Post
Old
06-08-2011, 08:13 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Our biggest weakness is not offense from the blueline at even strength though, it's lack of a shooter & PPQB on the point during the PP... You look at Gonchar's impact on the Pens playoff runs, and his greatest contribution to the team is not at even strength, but on the PP. I think this pressing need for an offensive defensemen that people are feeling, would be quelled by us finding a fixture for our PP, whether it be a forward (Richards) or any combination of other players (MDZ, Erixon, etc). No doubt I'd like to have an offensive defensemen back there in the top 4, but I want somebody who plays above average defense back there, and I'm not optimistic in the least bit about a good candidate coming along that we can acquire for a reasonable price. I think once the Rangers fix their PP woes and become at least one of top 10 teams in the league as far as PP proficiency goes, fans as a whole will be a lot less worried about offensive defensemen on our blueline.
I don't agree. The team doesn't have a single defenseman capable of making great, skilled breakout passes, of threading passes through traffic. Richards will make that less of an issue, but he doesn't solve it completely. Del Zotto has shown flashes of it, but who knows what happens with him and his atrocious defensive play.

The Pens are a bad example, since they have the best player in the world and one of the league's best puckhandlers and passers on the ice for 20 minutes a game.

Absolutely, the PP needs work. And again, Richards will be a huge help in that regard. But at even strength, the team needs a lot of work offensively, too.

Quote:
How good is Burns defensively? It he's not solid in his own zone, I'm not entertaining trading Girardi to replace him with a guy who's about to hit UFA and ask for a raise that would make him our highest paid defenseman. Lots of risk involved there. Short-sample size with the team, and impending July 1st deadline which drives up the asking price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyStart View Post
Is there anyway possible to guarantee this? I thought if you traded for a guy you basically get half a season plus initial negotiating rights. I didn't think Richards was worth that for Artie and I'm not sure Burns is worth that with Girardi. His questioning you was pretty valid if that's true. You obviously feel it's worth the risk I'm not argueing against it although i personally don't like the idea. I'm still waiting to get a laugh if Deron Williams leaves the Nets but I dread that happenning to a team I like.
As I've already stated, this would only be an option under the stipulation that Burns agrees to an extension. Otherwise, there is no point in making the deal.

And Burns is a solid, physical defender, who like many players of his type probably goes for too many hits, giving up position too often and exposing himself to unneeded injury too frequently. But he doesn't do this to the dangerous extent that a guy like Souray or Phaneuf might, which means that he's still an asset to the club as a whole.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote