View Single Post
Old
06-08-2011, 10:50 PM
Flat Stanley

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
Well... KV certainly shouldn't. But it's getting extremely close/already is make or break time for Vitale and Johnson. And I think (and I feel like most in the organization feel the same way) that both are NHL players in the capacity that the team needs them to be.
Oh I agree with that, Vitale and Johnson both play well in Pittsburgh when they are called up, I just don't think that they will be able to fill the 4th line roles of a Stanley Cup contender just yet, maybe in another year or 2.

Quote:
Not to nit-pick, here... because I think I know what you really mean. But none of these guys are core guys or anything close to it. I realize they've had a nice run with the team and each has contributed towards some important moments on the team... but really... this is why you put money and time into player development and farm teams. To replace guys like this.

I'm not saying that the team should unceremoniously dump all of them. But I really don't think they should feel compelled to bring them all back with raises and multi-year contracts either.
Yeah, I know. I shouldn't have used the word "core" because obviously our core guys are Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Fleury etc. I do agree on your point about farm systems and saying the team shouldn't be compelled to bring all of them back, sure let some walk just not important guys that will help in the future.

I kind of have mixed feelings on who we should keep and who we should let go. I like Talbot, he is good for this team, he has a great personality and adds energy and positive attitude in the locker room. However I do not know how much money he will want, it would be nice to have Talbot back but if he's looking for cash, unfortunately he will have to get it somewhere else. Pascal Dupuis, great player, has good speed, plays a good two way game, can play LW/RW on any line. I would like to see him re-signed and play the 3rd line RW, but I think Tangradi can play that position if Dupuis ends up not returning. Other than that I really think we should re-sign Tyler Kennedy, Craig Adams, Mike Rupp, Arron Asham (If Talbot walks) and Eric Godard. So Dupuis or Talbot/Asham are the guys that I think are in question here. We'll just have to wait and see what Shero's plan is.

Quote:
I thought he was all over the map in his time here. Some nights he would look extremely slick and competent. Many others he played like he was holding his stick upside down, with about 70 pounds of bricks on his back and a helmet full of angry bees.
I agree, Niskanen has his ups and downs. But I don't agree with other people saying for Shero to just get rid of him like he's nothing. He's young and full of potential, and I feel that he is capable of playing really well in the Penguins' defensive system. I don't think he will be some amazing player or anything, but I don't think he will be a scrub either. I know a lot of people are upset about his salary, I don't see him making more than $1.5 million next season when he's a free agent, he will either make that much or less depending on how he plays. We'll have to wait until next season. Maybe he will improve, nobody knows yet.