View Single Post
Old
06-09-2011, 02:32 AM
Ace23
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
A very tenacious player. Fast, more of a passer, good in his own end. Not super high end, but a very legit player that is just starting to put it all together and could well be a 50-60 point guy next year. In the draft where we took JVR at the time I thought he should have been given consideration for the number 2 spot. He is probably the third best guy taken in the first round that year. Not worth Carter by himself, but I cant imagine that Columbus would package him with the 8th overall for him either.
Carter is a very valuable commodity, especially for a team like CBJ who are (1) bleeding red ink and (2) desperate for a first-line center.

Carter is a young, legitimate #1 center (strong offensively, solid defensively, and even good on draws), and he's signed long-term at a cap friendly number (5.27M). To illustrate, consider that only Steven Stamkos, Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin, and Patrick Marleau have scored more goals over the past three seasons than Carter. That is great company to keep.

Voracek is a nice piece, but he hasn't blossomed in the CBJ organization. He's a RFA, so you're only getting his rights, making him less valuable. The #8 pick is another nice piece, but this is a mediocre draft in terms of top-end talent. This pick isn't worth what it would have been several years ago, or will be next year.

In all honesty, I don't think Voracek + #8 pick will be viewed as fair market value for Carter, not after someone like Versteeg commanded a first and a third. If this deal gets done, I'd expect it to look something like:

Carter & Carle

for

Voracek, Filatov/Moore, #8 pick, (lower-level prospect/later pick).

Ace23 is offline   Reply With Quote