View Single Post
Old
10-17-2003, 09:23 AM
Badger Bob

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by comrie
I'm not too sure CGY would be interested in Daze. He is often injured (he's out with yet another back injury right now, if memory serves correct) and he makes a lot of $$ ($3,200,000.00 to be exact, where I'm sure there are also bonuses on top of that).
The proposal, if it could even be called that, was just hypothetically throwing a name out to build upon Ice Cream Man's ideas. For argument's sake, it could be taken a step further. It was duly noted that Daze probably makes a hefty chunk of change. Having said that, the roster deletions would need to be factored in to determine the exact cost to the Flames.

Best case scenario: the Flames are in the playoff hunt near the deadline. Coach Daryl Sutter puts on the GM hat, realizing that he'll need *some* additional fire power before the deadline to secure a spot, and help lift the team during the playoffs. If this can be clearly demonstrated to the ownership group, of course they'd be willing to increase the spending a bit. In anticipation of additional revenue, generated from post-season play at the Saddledome, a cost justification wouldn't be a major undertaking.

Eric Daze might be a good candidate to be traded at the March deadline. Assuming a transaction could be worked out including Denis Gauthier (who's already played under Brian Sutter) and Dean McAmmond (who's played for the Blackhawks previously). Then, a fair percentage of Daze's salary is eaten up. Also, the remaining portion of Daze's '03-'04 salary would not be substantial, as it would be near the end of the regular season anyway.

Daze might look pretty good to more than a few Flames fans as the 2nd line LW. This scenario is not as impossible. You can always count on, at least, one surprise team qualifying for the playoffs each year, with some of the elite teams making early exits.

As an aside: the latest edition of The Hockey News lists no injuries for the Blackhawks. (The Blackhawks moderator had been known to visit this board on occasion. BR, can you confirm or deny the health status of Eric Daze?)