View Single Post
Old
06-09-2011, 11:22 AM
infidelappel*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Downie View Post
Setting a precedent by trading away a player who just signed a 11 year deal at a hometown discount without that player playing a year of that contract is a worse business decision. Why would anyone ever look for an extension with us after that? Why would a free agent seeking long term security come here?

I'd rather go into the next year with Read or Wellwood replacing Leino than trade Carter. I feel like people are forgetting how utterly useless HBL was after the all-star break.
Why is Carter getting moved in the first year of his fancy contract suddenly the line you cross where people won't want to sign here?

Gagne was a hometown hero for years and signed what was - at the time - a fairly decent contract. He wanted to play here until he retired, he loved it here, the fans loved him. And then he gets pressured into waiving his NMC to go elsewhere. Why would anyone want to come here seeking long term security after that?

Trades happen. If Carter has to be moved so the team can address its most significant weakness, players won't suddenly think the Flyers are some classless organization waiting to hock its players elsewhere. Players understand that trades are sometimes necessary; it's nothing personal, sometimes they just need to be made.

*Note: I do not think Carter is actually going anywhere, but find the notion that suddenly, this trade will make players hate the Flyers to be ridiculous.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote