Old
06-09-2011, 12:51 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKindms View Post
That might be true but you would also be the guy who took money you knowingly knew you didn't deserve and knew you could never produce at that level.
I could have thought I produce at that level. Or I could have said, "wow this guy really wants to hire me."

Quote:
In a cap world it works both ways. The blame falls to both the player and the GM. Ultimately it was Sathers bad call but Chris Drury knew that signing that contract would put the spot light squarely on him in the NY market where you better live up to your contract or you are going to hear about it. That doesn't even get in to what the cap hit does to the team etc etc.
Not sure how many times I need to repeat this. He had average Drury years his first two seasons here.

Quote:
It would be the same if I took an IT contract that I quoted WAY above the standard. Sure my client might sign it but as soon as they realize they are over paying there is going to be hell to pay.
If they realized they were overpaying, that's on them. A person is only worth what someone is willing to pay them.

Quote:
Same as Chris's contract. He knew what he was getting in to, I am not sure he could have seen it ending any other way really. He was going to be the highest paid player on the team, he knew what he was capable of was only marginally going to cover his salary. He bet on himself and lost. He still gets paid but lets not act like he doesn't have any culpability in this.
He has culpability because he broke down at an alarming rate? There's the risk with giving out long-term big money contracts. Something this GM still hasn't learned. The culpability is on the GM who keeps doing the same thing and expecting different results.