Thread: Speculation: Brad Richards News Part IV
View Single Post
Old
06-10-2011, 06:54 PM
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
And do what with all this cap space? Put it in the bank, and save it for a rainy day? It took me a long time to jump on the Richards bandwagon. The team IS rebuilt. It has 2 -- literally, 2 holes it needs to fill. Richards fills both those holes.

If Gaborik played like himself, or Callahan was healthy, we very well could have advanced passed the Caps. You throw Richards in the mix, add another years experience to our rookies and young core, and you have a true competitor.

You people need to get away from this "rebuild" fantasy. It doesn't guarantee success. NEITHER DOES USING THE CAPS LOCK KEY TO PROVE A POINT.
We have more than 2 holes to fill...

Top line center, top line winger, 2nd line winger, power play quarterback.

Gaborik not only needs a complementary center, but another competent winger. No more of this Vinny Prospal/Erik Christensen stuff.

We also need a clear cut 2nd line winger. I dont want hear about another center being converted to play wing. We have too many passive players who lack scoring ability on our first 2 lines. That means no Dubinsky or Anisimov as our 2nd line left wing next year... or Derek Stepan as our right wing...

Finally we need a power play QB... and a coach who will teach this group of players that the goal is not around the boards... i'm sick and tired of a) watching the puck go up and down the boards. it leads to many turn overs and clearances, little offense, and ultimately frustration for everyone involved - players, coaches, and fans... and b) not having a ****ing point shot who is willing to actually shoot on net (seeing as how our pointmen love shooting 5-10 feet to the right of left of the net... yea im looking at you Dan Girardi and Michael Sauer).

Richards fills 1 and a half of those 4 holes. He runs a decent point, he doesnt have some monster shot which will keep defenders at bay.