View Single Post
Old
06-11-2011, 08:17 AM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
While I don't find it interesting that neither position has been filled yet (most announcements of that magnitude come after the SCF's are over), I do find it interesting that Trotz mentioned Horachek's candidacy during the Lambert press conference on Thursday...

Personally, I think he's third on the radar for Dallas behind Kirk Muller and Glen Gulutzan, but it does sound like he had a good interview there and could be the darkhorse candidate for the position.

In Minnesota you obviously have the Leipold connection that will provide some sway, but there is a bigger pool of candidates that have been interviewed. Todd Richards bombed and they might be looking for someone with more experience, however instead of going for one of the retreads (Hitchcock, Therrien, MacTavish, etc) that they've already interviewed...I think Horachek might get serious consideration there as they look to build a winning atmosphere and maybe do a rebuild on the fly with a more aggressive forechecking system as the Predators employ.

Regardless, it's just something to keep an eye on. While our PP has been a long-standing issue, I think we are lucky to have a coaching staff lead by Trotz, with Horachek (who's currently drawing attention for a head coaching position) and Lambert (who's already on the radar and taking his next step towards a head coaching position) on the bench, Brent Peterson (who would've been a head coach long ago if not for his Parkinson's) in a yet to be defined role and Mitch Korn tending to our goalie's rounding out the staff.

While Peterson's role is undefined at the moment, I actually think it might work out very well for our team. Brent's body isn't allowing him to go out on the ice any longer, but his mind is as sharp as ever and last season he spent a lot of extra time in the video room breaking things down and also was able to sit back from running the drills on the ice and watch the practices to provide feedback that might not otherwise be noticed from the ice level. We now have a second head coach available to work on things that the staff never had time for or thought about but just never got to experiment. While he's not on the ice any longer, Brent Peterson will remain a key member of our coaching staff.

Just something to keep in the back of your mind as the SCF's wind down and a slew of announcements are set to begin. I think it'd be a great accomplishment for Coach Horachek and that Trotz would be able to quickly fill the void, but replacing both of our assistants on the bench in one summer would definitely make for some change...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote