View Single Post
Old
06-11-2011, 02:45 PM
windflare

vCash: 500
From Tanev's coach in Markham:

Quote:
Cornacchia, meanwhile, said he's not the least bit surprised with Tanev's rapid progression.

The only missing ingredient during his tenure with the Waxers, he said, was time to grow into his physical frame.

Once he began to do that, Cornacchia felt he had a potential NHLer on his roster.

Much to the chagrin of some naysayers.

"It was just a matter of him getting bigger and stronger," Cornacchia said.

"He's grown at least one foot since he was 14 or 15 years old to where he's now six-foot, three-inches tall. When he played for us (the Waxers) I told a number of NHL teams to draft him in the late rounds. I even told a number of people, including my son Mark (who played with Tanev on the Waxers and at Rochester Institute of Technology last season) that he would play in the NHL and he said I was nuts."

What makes Tanev a valuable asset, Cornacchia said, is his offensive prowess while displaying a high degree of poise. In particular, an ability to see the ice and to play the game on an even keel.

"He has great vision, he reads the game well and he doesn't panic when he has the puck. He makes a great first pass," Cornacchia said.

As for Tanev's future, Cornacchia feels his best hockey is yet to come.

"He'll be quarterbacking a powerplay real soon," he predicted.
http://www.insidetoronto.com/sports/...ley-cup-finals

Let's ease off on the judgment on his offensive prowess here. You don't score 28 points as a freshman Dman in the NCAA without a good degree of skill, and again, this is his first year playing pro as a 21 year old - moving up from his freshman year in the NCAA, moving up from the OPJHL the year before...

windflare is offline   Reply With Quote