View Single Post
Old
06-12-2011, 11:40 AM
habitue*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleOdelein View Post
Wiz is 3 weeks away from testing the market. He's a guy that's played for 4 teams in his young career so far. It's in his best interest to test the UFA market and garner the most secure term and salary he can. He's on record as saying he's enjoyed his time in Montreal and would like to stay, but those kinds of statements are made by the majority of UFA's every year.

If the Habs retain Wiz, I don't think that there will be a significant hometown discount. They will have to sign him for whatever his agent thinks is his market worth with regards to term and salary. I think he's going to be looking for a 4 year minimum contract at a 5-5.5M cap hit with a NTC. If anybody thinks that's insanely high, just take a look at what guys like Martin, Michalek, Ballard and Volchenkov got last year.

I love the guy and think that he's earned a nice contract. However, I'm not entirely sure that I want him on the Habs indefinitely at the salary he will sign for. Personally, I think that the Habs have an opportunity to spread that cap space around a bit better this year.
Right. he certainly will test it. Detroit has a big gap to fill with Rafalski gone and Lidstrom still thinking about it.

The worst that could happen to the Habs is seing BOTH Markov and Wiz sign with the Wings or sign elsewhere.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote