View Single Post
Old
06-13-2011, 11:05 AM
Talks to Goalposts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patccmoi View Post
I have only seen him play 5-10 games, but I think people have to be careful about throwing prospects out the window for 'poor defensive play'. Defensive play is a whole lot easier to learn than offensive play, and you regularly see players improve defensively over the years, while big offensive improvements are very rare.

Experience and maturity can be all a player need to be at least decent in his own zone (AK for one made huge strides this year imo in that aspect of his game). I still remember Subban saying 'you won't see much PK on the PK!' and everyone saying he was a defensive liability 2 years ago. At the end of his rookie season he was on our first PK pairing and was very solid in his own zone. Ok, Trotter is no Subban or anywhere close, but all I'm saying is that defensive play can be learned and improved on. If he's able to play well and create offensively, keep him around and give him a shot (in Hamilton and take him back up in case of injuries).

The thing is, if you can't play well defensively at the AHL level then you don't deserve the call up. Both AK and PK made strides in their defensive games while in Hamilton which helped get them the call. Unless Trotter does the same, he doesn't deserve and won't be given a call to the big club.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote