View Single Post
Old
06-13-2011, 08:28 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
It wouldn't be hard finding another overage defensemen, but you probably won't find one as good as Gudas with a 5th, 6th, or 7th round pick.

My only problem with this signing is the same; this doesn't need to be done right now. SFY should wait until he's taken care of some bigger priorities first. But maybe this has nothing to do with that and he's already sent a bunch of initial offers out and the AHLer with the least amount of negotiating power accepted it right away.
I wasn't intending to say that I want them to draft an overage player. BPA (as that means within the context of the overall vision of the team) ftw.

I was meaning that you don't know who is going to be available as the rounds go on. SFY and/or the scouting staff may decide that an overage player is that guy at some point, which then creates the possibility of a totally avoidable logjam.

(If he's 18 or 19, he goes back to junior, so that's why it would pretty much have to be an overage.)

It seems pretty common in the NHL to have the Asst. GM be the GM for the AHL team, and therefore to negotiate contracts for the appropriate players. This might be the case here as I don't think they have him signed with the NHL in mind.

It makes very little sense to say that you need to see how some other contracts go before being able to make a decision on them, just to turn around and sign Mike Vernace.

Hold on Purcell, The Vernace wants to talk contract.