View Single Post
Old
06-13-2011, 10:18 PM
Bobblehead

vCash: 500
If there is an truth to this 'speculation', there isn't much edmonton can part with that Philly fans seem willing to accept. None of the Eberle/MPS/Hall is going anywhere. I doubt first overall or first next year is going anywhere ( next years draft is supposed to be quite good). Kinda shoots down any of your preferences. Fair enough I won't argue that. What Edmonton does have is a lot of prospects outside the big three.

If you consider the only reason to trade Richards or Carter is to free up cap space....then you're looking at young guys and prospects that you might not be familiar with. I think the Columbus package might be more attractive, but when I see Voracek I can't help but think Zherdev. Here's looking at what Edm might be able to offer, keeping in mind cheap, draft pick or prospect is more important than established NHLer.

Linus Omark....small and great vision (I'm in favor of moving Hemsky to make more room for this guy). Consider how many of you (us) could've picked Ville Leino out of a police lineup? Omark could be a similar find.

Cogliano or Gagner.... Cogliano is cheaper and misused in Edm. He's got wheels, could used a change of scenery, but he's third liner and did I say cheap? He would be a decent depth player and is still young enough that he could develop into a 15-20 goal third liner with wheels. Gagner...don't thinkk oyu're interested in the salary and 40-50 point player. The thing to remember about him though, is he's a only year older than Eberle and has 4 years NHL experience! But maybe he's peaked at 22?

Tyler Pitlick or Chris VandeVelde... both are very good prospects with decent size. Pitlick is a 2nd round pick last year. VV is about 25 years old and likely ready now, but he might not have the higher end potential.

Alex Plante or Curtis Foster or Smid .... Foster has a canon for the PP, isn't too expensive but had a terrible year in his own zone, but then does he really have to worry about his end when he's on with CP? Plante showed well a couple of years ago and was a big time prospect, but I'm not sure he's a sure bet to play NHL. Smid, well he's also still very young with a ton of NHL experience, but he's limited to a 4-6th guy on most teams. Mobile, big, tough but limited...... and cheap.

19th overall pick? 31st overall pick?

Like I said, more questions than positive answers.....how good will Omark be? will the prospect and draft picks ever amount to anything? Two players who immediately step in and add depth for good cap hits. Holmgren would add a $3-4 million in cap hits with those players...that being said, that's too much...you'd need to dump more to sign Bryzgalov...... so you'd have to toss in Carle ? Versteeg? Still I can understand how that wouldn't be appealing since they're not household names. If you're trying to dump salary, you can't expect much back other than picks or prospects...... that's why I think Omark, Cogliano, Pitlick and 19th overall might be enough to get it done.....simply because you can't add much salary and Edmonton not deviating from the rebuild by trading a building block like first overall picks, eberle, hall or MPS, toss Marancin, Petry and Hamilton into that category too.

Remember Boston got crap for Thornto.... Sturm, Wayne Primeau and Brad Stuart..... but also, forgotten was it freed up the $ to get Marc Savard too..... so don't forget trading Richards or Carter.... you'd wind up with Voracek, 8th overall and Bryzgalov or several depth players with potential, a prospect or two and a pick pus Bryzgalov. Not saying I'd do it, just sharing the logic from our side.

Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote