View Single Post
Old
06-15-2011, 11:54 AM
MathMan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1 View Post
Seriously? the maple leafs had better 5/5 finishers than the wings over the past 4 years? That surprises me.
I don't think they had better finishers per se, but they did have better shooting percentage at even strength in each of the four years.

Yes, I cherry-picked my example, but it's meant to be illustrative: teams don't have any skill at "high shooting percentage".

Quote:
Is the black hole you speak of.. Shots on Goal? I could see that improved for sure this year...
Corsi -- the combination of shot attempts for and against, used as a proxy for puck possession. But as you can imagine, actual shots on goal closely follows shot attempts.

Quote:
The aberration is our shooting %? This is why we couldnt win at times this year? (Terrible season for our snipers)
Pretty much, yes. It was especially egregious for Gomez, but remember at the start of the season when Gionta couldn't buy a goal? Montreal left a lot of goals on the table because of stuff like that.

Quote:
& you feel that because our trend is climbing,, So Long as we return to league average shooting %... We should see a natural incline in our overall teamplay/stats?
Yes, so long as the Habs maintain their puck possession game. If they go back to sucking like in 2009-2010, well, Price will need to keep them out of the lottery.

Quote:
CORSI I have a decent (not great) understanding of the stat... Is it goals/sog for ice time? Or puck possession
Corsi is simply the total of shots attempts (goals, saves, misses, blocks) for and against when a player/team is on the ice, expressed as plus/minus. Originally designed by the Sabres' goaltending coach, Jim Corsi, as a measure for goaltender workload, it turned out to be an excellent proxy for puck possession, and a stat that is both strongly correlated with winning and something teams can sustain.

Quote:
I heard that Scotty Gomez, is much more visible on our CORSI lists.. (Esp. 2 years ago, his first season as a hab, and last season as a Ranger
Scott Gomez is a possession ace. This is why he's been consistently putting up 40 even-strength points before this year. It also helps with keeping the opposition away from the net... a significant benefit, since he usually play against pretty strong opposition.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote