View Single Post
Old
06-16-2011, 01:27 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
I'm on the Habs bandwagon of fans asking for more physical players. The guys that were willingly physical on the 2007 - 2008 team are either gone or changed their style of play.

And Markov to me is the key because the team is constantly built around him. And this seemingly is the future. Having said that I think there is reason to be pessimistic. In the last four years of playoffs Markov has either been disappointing when playing or a complete "no show" because of injuries.

Right now the D lineup is a complete unknown as to whether it can handle another string of injuries to either Markov and/or Subban and others. I'm hoping Gauthier can't possibly be finished with the D after he signs Markov and Gorges.

The Habs banked on Halak's heroism in the playoffs last year and Price's great play throughout this past season. Markov, Price and Plekanec are key members to this team. None have performed exceptionally well in the playoffs.

The Bruins took it to Vancouver and shattered their dreams. They did it by withstanding physical, intense games the whole way through. I don't see this Habs' team being able to do that unless the goaltender carries them there. And they traded that goaltender. And I don't see Markov making it through an extended playoff season either in one piece.

Everyone's excited about Emelin and so am I but I wouldn't be surprised to see his physical play diminish the longer he is a Hab. I worry that it's management and coaching philosphy now not to be "too physical". The Habs' have Gill, Markov and Gionta as leaders and to intimidate.
Players play more physical when they have somebody watching their back. That's why we need an enforcer and maybe another guy not afraid to drop the gloves that can play.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote