Thread: Erat signed
View Single Post
Old
08-26-2005, 09:49 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
But the error in your logic is that Erat deserves the same amount that Hartnell\Legwand\Arkhipov do. Arkhipov's contract remains one of the most dreadful mistakes that Poile has made in his tenure as the Preds' manager..so throw that out the window. Legwand was the team's best player in 02\03...and has steadily improved in most aspects of his game from the start. Hartnell is a similar case(and wasn't his QO that he accepted only 1 million?). Erat, on the other hand...has one decent season as part of the overachieving "vowel line," one disappointing season that saw him sent down to the minors, and one good season(last year). To me, that makes him a bit more unproven than Hartnell and Legwand. Hence the one year deal. One year deals for guys that are well away from being UFA, especially low ones...are "prove it to me" contracts. What's wrong with that? Erat didn't have the leverage to demand much more than he got...because he hasn't really earned it and it's not right to pay him on potential. If Erat turned around and said, "Hey, you gave Legwand this...give me a little less and I'll be happy," then I'd be more than fine with seeing him sit the year out and play in Russia...hopefully come to his senses..and try again. Poile is doing his job by being fiscally responsible...and I applaud him for it. Erat is now a LITTLE overpaid, but I'm sure I'll feel differently if he builds on last year and earns it.