View Single Post
Old
06-17-2011, 01:48 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Not in games 1-5 they didn't. Games 6 and 7 was when the short-handed Habs started to get outchanced by the Bruins, but before then the Habs were outplaying the Bs at even-strength. Head over at Olivier's blog at enattendantlesnordiques.blogspot.com -- he counts scoring chances for all Hab games, and also lists shots-at-goals which is a fine proxy for puck possession (if you're shooting the puck then you obviously have it).

Actually it is. The Habs were the better team with the score tied by a significant margin, and outchanced the Bruins overall in OT. It's really unfortunate (or a credit to Tim Thomas's goaltending!) that they ended up giving up 3 goals and scoring none.

LOL... seriously? This is a team that uses Ference-Boychuk as a second-pairing. They're not more talented (they're if anything shallower than the Habs) and their decision-making certainly isn't better.

Boston's D was very shallow. They had Chara, sure, but then it was a significant drop after him to Seidenberg, and a large drop after him to... well, a bunch of guys who would be bottom-pairing D-men on most teams.

Gorges is a legitimate top-4 defenseman, and a good one as well. I wouldn't call his decision-making slow. He'd be, at worst, the third-best defenseman on the oh-so-talented Bruins, possibly even second-best.

No it's not. Kostitsyn is a strong two-way player, which is something he doesn't get nearly enough credit for. The real problem with Kostitsyn is that people view him as streaky. He's not any more so than any offensive player in his production range.

Frankly, I think you should learn to watch hockey games; you keep seeing things that don't actually happen.
U Mad brah?

First of all, scoring chances and shots on goal is NOT all there is to puck possession. There is much more to this. And NO, the Habs definitely were not controlling the pace of the games. The Bruins could cycle in our own zone without any fear, as nobody was willing/capable to engage long puck battles against them along the boards, save for a guy like Subban.

In overtime, we might have outchanced them, thing is - we collapsed in a pretty pathetic way in game 4 where we were leading 3 to 1. As for Game 7, we started the game sitting back and watching them play, because it's not there in our own players to engage things and dictate the pace of the game. All in all, the Bruins got most of the good breaks, in huge part because they kept winning battles - be it along the boards or in the faceoffs cirle -, and because their play around the net was miles ahead of ours.

The Bruins' d-core was actually very strong, strong enough to completely shutdown Vancouver, Philadelphia, and in some way, our beloved Montreal Canadiens. You underrate this core of defensemen. They had Chara, Kaberle and Seidenberg, a very effective top-3. Even if Kaberle wasn't playing his best hockey, he's still a guy you've got to watch and who, more often than not, will make quick, sharp decisions with the puck in the neutral zone. He's a clever player, and you've got to watch games to see that, because he adds a lot of things that are not visible in statistics. Boychuk is an efficient #4 d-man, Ference and McQuaid is what I'd call a perfect 3rd pairing. They're much better in their own end than a guy like Spacek or a tired Hamrlik, and to pass the puck up the ice, they're not liability like Gill. They also pretty much all have a physical game, minus Kaberle. The Bruins actually have pretty much a perfect defense core to play in the playoffs. They have pretty much of everything.

Boychuk and Kaberle are NOT 3rd pairing d-men on most teams. And Ference/McQuaid are at least equal to Gorges. Seriously. You severely underestimate how good these guys are if you think Gorges would be second only to Chara in their group. Gorges is a good #4/#5 d-man on your team ideally. A guy who'll play big PK minutes and in some important situations, but who won't help your team in the puck possession facet of the game. Neither will Gill for that matter.

To say Kostitsyn is a two-way player is completely ridiculous. Kostitsyn is a streaky player, which is fine by me... if he didn't bring the whole line he's on down with his poor decision-making each and every time he loses confidence. His linemates don't know what to expect out of him. Which is something bad when he's being put on a team's top-6. Ideally, you would put this guy with a guy like Eller on a 3rd line, where he can go through his hot and cold streaks without bringing guys like Cammalleri and especially Plekanec down when he's not producing. These two guys need a guy who'll get them the puck and who'll make the opposing d-men's life tougher night in and night out. Kostitsyn can do it, but is unwilling/uncapable of doing in on a nightly basis.

As for me watching hockey games, ask around the NHL whether or not Kostitsyn is considered an efficient two-way player. This is a pretty ludicrous thing to say, considering the guy is one of those who'll give the puck to the opponents more often than not in our team, especially when he forgets what he's all about (sniping pucks) and that he tries to dangle his way in the offensive zone, just to try an impossible pass backwards to one of our d-men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
The real problem with Kostitsyn is that he's European and some people just won't accept him unless he plays at the superstar level.

If his name was John "Canadian Boy" Johnson people would be raving about how he hits hard, is a bit streaky but has all the tools, and is a relevant part of our top 6.

Instead because he's Andrei "Euro boy" Kostitsyn, people are crying about how he hits but isn't physical (lol), is too streaky to be a top 6 forward (even though the majority of 2nd liners put up the same production as he does and half of them don't score a point every other game, they're streaky) so therefore he's irrelevant to our line-up
I don't care about his production and his "streakyness". I just can't stand him bringing his whole line down when things aren't going fine with him. I want someone who'll provide the same essential elements night in and night out, which is good puck control in tough areas, hustle along the boards and some REGULAR net presence. A guy who can hold his own in all three zones also would be welcome to help Plekanec in that area. I have no idea how some people here saw decent two-way play in Andrei Kostitsyn. He's a one-way player who has to keep the same patterns in his game to succeed. But he only does it from time to time. And considering we already have two superior snipers in Cammalleri and Gionta, I don't see how he should stay on the top-6. We need another Pacioretty-like player to play with Cammalleri and Plekanec. Be it a Brooks Laich or a Eric Cole. These are my top 2 picks.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote